Monday, May 14, 2012

A Mammoth in the Fridge

Written by Michaël Escoffier and illustrated by Matthieu Maudet

As a mother I've done my fair share of reading for kids. I'm guilty, often, of merely reading the words and not taking them in, being on reading auto-pilot. Perhaps it is because I have a lot to do in a day and my mind is busy planning my next job or where I have to have my kids by what time. Or perhaps it is because a good deal of kids' books are just not very engaging in terms of wondering what will happen next? That is precisely why I enjoyed A Mammoth in the Fridge; I simply had to know where the story would go.

Double page spread from A Mammoth in the Fridge  

Double page spread from A Mammoth in the Fridge

The illustrations are charming using a hand-drawn pencil look, and limited colours, reminiscient of children's books from the '50s and '60s.

Double page spread from A Mammoth in the Fridge

Double page spread from A Mammoth in the Fridge

The story relies on the illustrations; there are no superfluous words, so parents may need to explain a little to very small children, but I love the fast pace it gives the story, and I love it that the child needs to think about what is happening and who is doing the talking. A Mammoth in the Fridge is perfect for a child who is just starting to read. It's cute; I like it!

The Author  

Michaël Escoffier was born in France in 1970. He now lives in Lyon with his wife and two children. 

The Illustrator

Matthieu Maudet lives in Rennes, France, where he devotes himself entirely to comics and illustration childrens books.



Ages 3+
Origin: France
36 pages 230 x 213mm
Paperback IBSN 978-1-877579-15-8
Hardback  IBSN 978-1-877579-14-1
Published by Gecko Press

Many thanks to Gecko Press for allowing Kitty as a Picture Illustration and Surface Design Blog to publish the images.

No comments:

Post a Comment