Friday, June 3, 2011

Juliette Arnott - Acrylic on Canvas

Juliette Arnott is a New Zealand artist whose acrylic paintings are so charming, yet I've only just discovered her recently thanks to a friend who forwarded me a link. A google search revealed little, but I was fortunate enough to make contact with Juliette and was able to ask her some questions directly.

 Acrylic on canvas by Juliette Arnott 900mm x 800mm

Q: Could you please tell me a little about your background? Is art your focus or a hobby? 

A: I trained at Wanganui Polytech after leaving school and then got involved in a family business and left my brushes for a number of years. Since having my daughter I found it hard to find nice artwork for her bedroom walls, so out came the brushes and paints! Since then I have had a lot of people interested in buying them so I have sold them at Garden Fetes and at a couple of stores, but mainly my customers come to me via word of mouth which is great. I have 1 day a week I can dedicate to my painting which I love - it's my time out. 

Acrylic on canvas by Juliette Arnott 900mm x 800mm

Acrylic on canvas by Juliette Arnott 900mm x 800mm

Q: What is the inspiration behind your paintings?

A: My main inspiration is my daughter Meg and my gorgeous donkeys Hector, Wills, and Bramble. I also grew up with a donkey to ride, so I guess there's a little of me too!
I like to make each painting a little different to the next, and I am finding the more I do the more I enjoy them. I also get inspiration for the patterns on the donkeys and girls' dresses from beautiful fabrics and wall papers.
I also sell a range of cards, which are a print applied to a thin wooden board which borders the print, at my parents Scullys shop in Bulls.

Photograph of Juliette's daughter Meg and donkey Bramble.
 
Acrylic on canvas by Juliette Arnott 900mm x 800mm

Acrylic on canvas by Juliette Arnott 900mm x 800mm

Brimming with vibrant colour and pattern, it is no surprise that I am now a fan of Juliette's paintings. It is easy to imagine them brightening a child's bedroom, but they can decorate other spaces too being appealing in so many ways. Inspiring too... it makes me want to get painting!

Juliette's art can be purchased from Just William in Greytown, at Scullys in Bulls, at Chambers on Ponsonby Road Auckland, or you can contact her directly by email at ju.arnott@gmail.com. Juliette is also on Facebook.

A huge thanks to Juliette Arnott for allowing Kitty as a Picture Kids' Design Blog to feature this work.

5 comments:

  1. Love this post! Such great artwork :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes we're lucky enough to have one and it is amazing! Juliette is very clever, and these paintings are sure to brighten up any kids bedroom. Great Value too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh lucky you! They are stunning, and so original

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are lovely and bright . . . and donkeys too wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes I love them... something different, and so charming

    ReplyDelete