Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Captivating Illustration by Oliver Lake

Ooh I'm very excited about this post - Oliver Lake of Iota Illustration.
My daughter (aged 22 months) is a fan too. She spotted some pictures of Oliver's on my computer and squealed with delight, so I put her on my knee and we looked through Oliver's collection together. I asked her to tell me what the illustrations were...

For All the Birds by Oliver Lake of Iota Illustration.

...'Birds,' she said. Easy Peasy, she has a bird mobile, and we see birds outside every day.

Three Lazy Owls by Oliver Lake of Iota Illustration.

'Owls' she said. She likes owls - she has a gorgeous hand-knitted owl toy, a favourite of hers.

Two Fine Foxes by Oliver Lake of Iota Illustration.

'Wox' she said, because she can't make an 'f ' sound yet.

The Honey Bear by Oliver Lake of Iota Illustration.

'Bear,' she said. We've seen plenty of bears in her books.

The Pig and the Rooster by Oliver lake of Iota Illustration.

'Piggie,' she said. I am feeling proud, she is doing well.
Until...

The Laid Back Lions by Oliver Lake of Iota Illustration.

'Daddy,' she said!
Anyone who knows Mike will scream with laughter - Mike is the laid back type, and the faces of the lions at the back most definitely resemble him! He is super-tall and lean with a long face, a little facial hair, and prominent nose. I can see him caricatured in those lions, yes I can! He is not as sad and serious as all that, and very handsome ;) , but I can see where she was coming from!

But enough about me and my family. Oliver Lake of Iota Illustration is what this is all about. His illustrations are absolutely captivating. I love the attitude and personality Oliver captures in his animal characters, especially the animal musicians:

Red Squirrel Serenade by Oliver Lake of Iota Illustration.

The Owl Harpist by Oliver Lake of Iota Illustration.

The Accordion Bears by Oliver Lake of Iota Illustration.

The Clarinet Bunny by Oliver Lake of Iota Illustration.

The Monkey Drummer by Oliver Lake of Iota Illustration.

The Jazz Bunny by Oliver Lake of Iota Illustration.

The Elephant, the Flute and the Bird by Oliver Lake of Iota Illustration.

Aren't they superb!
Oliver Lake is an experienced artist and professional children's book illustrator. He has had a number of commissions, including five published children's books. He has also exhibited and sold work at a number of art galleries throughout the UK. 
http://www.iotaillustration.etsy.com/ is an online store, based in the United Kingdom, set up and run by Oliver. All of the limited edition prints in the store are © Oliver Lake and come printed, signed and dated.

I was reminded of Oliver Lake when I spotted his work on a post in Facebook by Brighton POD (Promoting Original Design). Thank you for inspiring me!

Thanks to Oliver Lake for allowing Kitty as a Picture Kids Design Blog to feature these illustrations. Much appreciated!

6 comments:

  1. how perceptive of her! I don't even know your partner, but have to agree with her, judging by his Christmas card self-portrait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Honestly, I've been laughing about it all day. It is gorgeous what they come out with. Here is the link to his xmas self portrait for those who are interested: http://www.kittyasapicture.com/2010/12/merry-christmas-from-me-and-my-family.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, this post made me laugh out loud. And the pictures are divine. I particuarly like the red squirrel and owl harpist! My baby loves owls too, and I made her an owl and bird themed bedroom. I think you would love the paper and pattern artist I used most - check her out, http://moonmum.typepad.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooh gorgeous pics! great illustrator!

    ReplyDelete